Knit for Christ
David Benjamin, Louise Hardy,and Sheila Ogden on a recent Tuesday Evening
Knit for Christ was started in 2004. This ministry shares its members’ knowledge of knitting and crochet as a gesture of the care and concern demonstrated by the OLV community. It is our intent to mimic God’s unconditional love for us by providing a physical representation of His presence to others.
Knit for Christ does not charge for shawls, lap robes, hats, gloves or baby blankets. However, we do appreciate donations of supplies and time. To join the ministry, simply come to one of our meetings on Tuesday Evenings at 6:30 in the Elizabeth A. Talbot Library.
Donations can be dropped off in the Parish Office.
Over the years, the ministry has made and contributed many items:
- Prayer Shawls – Shawls are made for anyone whether in crisis or to celebrate. Shawls are placed in the gathering area. They are to be taken by any who need or know of someone who needs comfort.
- Cozy Kids – Every Christmas hats, mittens, gloves and scarves that have been made throughout the year along with those donated by the parish are collected and distributed to children in the inner city schools. Last year more than 400 items were delivered to 8 schools, organizations and civic groups in Troy.
- Christening Blankets – The newest members of the Church are presented with a blanket at their baptism as a reminder of the pledge of support from the OLV community.
- Instruction – anyone who is interested in learning how to knit or crochet – or just to share time – is welcome to stop by.
- Homebound Visitation – crochet angels, lap robes and other items were made to be distributed by the Visitation ministry.
- NCYC – shawls, blankets and other items were made and donated to be raffled off at the NCYC Fundraiser.
"You created every part of me, knitting me in my Mother's womb. For such handiwork, I praise you. awesome is this great wonder!"